Thursday, May 14, 2015

BOOK REVIEW: The Lunar Chronicles Series by Marissa Meyer


Okay, I know that just about everyone in the blogosphere has blogged about this series already. So I am just going to do brief reviews of all three books. But "brief" may be subjective. I am fangirling all over the place about this series. If you haven’t read this series yet, well first of all, READ IT NOW. Second of all, there may be some minor spoilers. You have been warned!

Ahhhh . . . Cinder. My wonderful introduction to this world. I love this retelling of Cinderella so, so, so much. This is my favorite retelling ever. Okay, this is the only retelling of Cinderella I have ever read but still . . . Marissa Meyer is a freaking genius. This is the first in the series so there is a lot of world building. And the world building is amazing. And the romance . . . swoon. I absolutely loved Kai and Cinder together. He was an emperor and he didn’t care that she was a mechanic. He was still attracted to her and still invited her to the ball. I wanted her to tell him she was a cyborg so many times! And oh man, that stepmother. I hated her way more than the evil stepmother that was in the real fairy tale, and that’s saying something. There was a secret about Cinder that I predicted about halfway through. Because of all the world building, there wasn’t a lot of action until more than halfway through the book, but I wasn’t complaining. As long as I had plenty of Kai, Cinder and Iko, I was happy. But oh man that cliffhanger! Argh!!! Loved this book!

And then there was Scarlet. I did not think it was possible to like a character more than Cinder or root for a romance more than Cinder and Kai. But then I met Scarlet and Wolf. I loved her character even more and this book was also better than Cinder, which I did not think was possible. This book was action packed from beginning to end. The chapters bounced between Scarlet and Cinder’s POV and we were also introduced to the delightful Captain Thorne. I was afraid that the book would be just about Scarlet. As much as I love her, I am glad that was not the case because I wanted to see what happened with Cinder. It took me a while to figure out how Scarlet and Cinder’s stories intersected, but I was happy when they finally did. These two women became friends instantly and I loved them fighting Levana’s men together. And Wolf, no we cannot forget about Wolf. Wolf was the very definition of the strong and silent type. He was so protective. And when he called Scarlet his "alpha' . . . swoon again. Yeah, Marissa Meyer knows how to write a good romance. 

And then there was Cress. Oh Cress . . . she was so sad and I just wanted to cry for her. She was stuck in a satellite for seven years by herself, no contact with the outside world except for the evil Mistress Sybil. I felt so bad for her. She was so lonely that she created a computer program of herself at age 10 so she would have someone to talk to. She called it "little Cress." When that program got destroyed, she was so sad about losing her "little sister," that I almost cried myself. I completely understand why Cress chose to daydream all the time. I mean, she was isolated for so long! I even get why she made up this whole story about Captain Thorne and the possibility of a romance between the two. But then I really wanted them to get together. Aside from the romance, this book was not lacking in action either. Argh! So much suspense! The team gets separated and then they try to devise a plan to stop the wedding of Kai and the evil Queen Levana. And no more Dr. Erland! Ugh, that surprised me almost as much as the twist regarding his connection to Cress. And Kai and Cinder see each other for the first time since the ball. Then the cliffhanger! Ughhhhhhhh!!

Yeah, this was me pretty much the whole time I was reading each book of the series.
And this was me when it dawned on me I have to wait until NOVEMBER for the conclusion! Why?!?
I will be reading Fairest soon so maybe that will help . . .  a little. 

Buy/Borrow/Skip: For this entire series, I recommend that you buy it!!! If you are a fan of fantasy, then you will love it. Every single book in this series has been just amazing! 

6 comments :

  1. I read Cinder and enjoyed it very much. At the time my eldest had time to read (before her current career) and we used to buddy-read YA fantasy or dystopia. I never got to the rest of the series so I really should, based on recommendations from just about every blogger I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Rita you MUST! I absolutely loved Cinder. But if it's possible, the series gets even better with every book.

      Delete
  2. Yep, I wholeheartedly concur with everything you said. I can't wait for the next book :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Ramona! Ugh, I hate that I have to wait for NOVEMBER! Crazy!! Ha

      Delete
  3. Reading Fairest will help a lot, it is epic too! And yay always happy when someone falls in love with this series. I love how unique it is and I'm shipping all the characters :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Trish, I love every single character. And I can't believe it's possible, but each book just gets better and better.

      Delete