Sunday, July 31, 2016

July Wrap-Up

I am linking up to both the Sunday Post @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer and the Sunday Post @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction.

Another month has come and gone. We are more than halfway through the year! Unbelievable. This has been a very good, but very busy, month. I came back to Italy after visiting my family in the States a couple of weeks ago. It has taken me a while to get back in the swing of things when it comes to blogging. A couple of months ago, I started beta reading for people. Basically, I read people's unpublished manuscripts and provide feedback. It's been good to earn money while reading. That's the dream! This month was busier than it has been. This month alone, I read six unpublished manuscripts. Four of those were just in the past week. So this week I didn't really do a lot of reading for pleasure. Oh well, love the work. It keeps me busy!

Including the number of unpublished manuscripts, I have read 27 books this month. It has been a GREAT month in terms of quality of books read. I read several five stars and most of my books were four stars. I only had a few disappointing reads.

Favorite book(s) of the month:

There is no way I could choose. These are my favorites and I refuse to pick sides. #thesearemybabies
Most disappointing book of the month:

There are no words for how mad this book made. You can read my review here if you would like. 

Reviews Posted

Red Queen (The Chronicles of Alice #2) by Christina Henry
The Siege (The Six #2) by Mark Alpert
Defending Taylor by Miranda Kenneally
All Is Not Forgotten by Wendy Walker
Signs of You by Emily France
Black River Falls by Jeff Hirsch
Gemini by Sonya Mukherjee
Girl In The Shadows (Girl On A Wire #2) by Gwenda Bond
All We Have Left by Wendy Mills
All The Ugly And Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood
Nice Girls Endure by Chris Struyk-Bonn

Top Ten Tuesday Posts

Top Underrated Books
Top Books Set Outside the U.S.

Other Posts

The Totally Should've Book Tag
DISCUSSION: Why do I feel the need to apologize?
DISCUSSION: What does the term "diverse" mean to you?

How has your month been? Are you having a great summer (or in the case of Australia, a great winter)? What was your favorite book read this month?

SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

33 comments :

  1. That is awesome about the beta reading. You do realize you still read a ton of books not counting the right?!? I loved Aristotle and Dante and Salt to the Sea too. I really want to read All We Have Left. I had such a great month of reading but my favorite would have to be After I Do. Hope you have a great August!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace! Yeah, I know. I read so much, even without the beta reading. Craziness. After I Do was AMAZING! So glad that would be your favorite.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the beta reading, and you're so right that it's the dream. I see three that are on my list to read. I already own Salt of the Sea. I've had All the Ugly and Wonderful Things on my TBR list for a while, and I also want to get to All We Have Left when they release in August. Enjoy your week! My Sunday Post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kathy. All the Ugly and Wonderful Things was just not good, in my opinion. Maybe you'll like it more, but you should read my review to warn yourself about the subject matter. :)

      Delete
  3. I haven't even started with my monthly re-cap! Maybe tomorrow.... I can't wait to start reading Salt to the sea, hopefully this week. Here's my Sunday Post though: http://marelithalkink.blogspot.co.za/2016/07/the-sunday-post-31-july-2016.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mareli, you really should read Salt to the Sea soon. It was so good!

      Delete
  4. I'm really happy to see that Salt to the Sea and The Winner's Curse are two of your favorite books of the month. I love those two.
    And that's terrific news about beta reading. :)
    I hope the upcoming book is just as great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick! Now I just have to read the rest of The Winner's series before I forget what happened in the first one. :)

      Delete
  5. You were super busy for sure. Getting paid to read sounds like heaven to me.. lol.
    Happy August!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG. 27 books?! That is like a dream come true! i hope your August will be just as great. ;)

    happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved Aristotle and Dante, too! I listened to the audio, it was very well done.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 27 books. Wow! That's great- and congrats on the beta reading! Glad that's going well. I'll bet it's very rewarding and fun to get people's writing and ideas and help them polish it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Greg! It really is rewarding. I love reading a three star book and giving them tips that can turn it into a four or even a five star book. It feels great.

      Delete
  9. The beta reading sounds interesting. I wish I'd gotten into editing (etc) when younger. I can imagine beta reading is a lot more time consuming than reading for fun / review though because you're having to make notes etc... Would love to hear more about it sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deborah, I really want to get into editing now, instead of just the beta reading. I think I can earn my certificate and stuff, even without having an advanced degree. It might be cool to do some freelance stuff. And you're right about beta reading being more time consuming. I feel more pressure than just reviewing ARCs for sure, maybe because I'm getting paid for it. Maybe I will do a post sometime. :)

      Delete
  10. Yay for beta reading - it's great that you found something that you like to do! Also, I'm in awe of your achievements! That many books in one month?! I haven't read that many since the beginning of the year, lol :) Kudos to you & have an even more amazing August

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ramona! I guess being unemployed helps with my book count. :)

      Delete
  11. What a FANTASTIC reading month! You win all the gold stars. *cakefetti* I know virtually nothing about beta reading. I've pondered finding out what to do to provide editing services, but I think it would require *not* teaching. Not enough time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Charlie! I love cakefetti . . . . but I have to confess that I love actual cake even more. Ha. I would love to provide editing services as well. I have thought about taking some classes or trying to earn a certificate or something. I am not employed right now so I have the time.

      Delete
  12. Yay, well done on finding a way to make money reading! That's my dream too! Not sure how good I'd be at beta reading though. I did do it once for a friend but that was in a very informal fashion.
    And Salt to the Sea was AMAZING! I love The Winners Curse too. Must check out All We Have Left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trish! Yes, you must read All we have left. It was such an emotional book, but totally worth it.

      Delete
  13. Looks like you had a really great reading month! I absolutely love The Winner's trilogy so I'm glad that you loved the first book. The Winner's Crime for me was even better! I'm planning to read Salt to the Sea this month so I'm glad it was one of your favourites in July. I've seen loads of rave reviews and I can't wait to check it out myself.

    Jenna @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenna, oh yes The Winner's Curse was great. Now I just have to read the rest of the series before I forget what happened in the first one. At least I don't have to wait for the others to be released. :)

      Delete
  14. Beta reading sounds like a dream job haha xD So glad you love The Winner's Curse! I read it last year and it's one of my fave books. You definitely should read the rest of the series because they're all awesome :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiffany, I can't even believe I waited so long to read The Winner's Curse! I can't wait to read the rest of the series. I need to do that soon!

      Delete
  15. Now I totally have to go read the review for the book you hated. Isn't it funny how those negative reviews can sometimes draw us in? :-)

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great month for you! I still need and MUST read Salt to the Sea. I finally have it and can't wait to start it!

    My July Recap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eva! Salt to the Sea was AMAZING! You must read it soon!

      Delete
  17. Congrats on the beta reading! That's so amazing that you get paid to help people write :D I've been hearing so many good things about Salt to the Sea - I'll need to get to that soon!

    ReplyDelete